The Matson Museum is free and open to visitors Monday – Friday, 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Guests wishing to visit at other times or with a large group are invited to contact the museum staff to learn more about scheduling a visit.
The museum is located on the second floor of the Carpenter Building in the northwest corner of Penn State’s campus between the Nittany Lion Shrine, the Nittany Lion Inn, and the Nittany Parking deck. The museum is located within walking distance of restaurants both on campus and downtown.
Support the programs and exhibits you love!
Frequently Asked Questions
Admission to the Matson Museum is always free!
Parking is available in the Nittany Parking Deck on Fischer Road, which charges $1 per hour and accepts cash, coins, or major credit cards.
Individuals and classes are welcome to photograph (without flash), sketch, or film objects on display. Social media posts are encouraged! For the safety of the objects and other visitors, we request that guests do not bring tripods, selfie sticks, or large camera bags.
For professional photography or filming opportunities, please email the Matson Museum staff.
Yes! There are many different museums scattered across the Penn State University Park campus. These museums include:
- All-Sports Museum: http://www.gopsusports.com/museum
- Arboretum at Penn State: http://arboretum.psu.edu
- Borland Project Space: https://borlandprojectspace.psu.edu/
- Earth and Mineral Science Museum & Art Gallery: https://museum.ems.psu.edu/
- Frost Entomological Museum: https://ento.psu.edu/about/facilities/frost
- HUB-Robeson Galleries: http://studentaffairs.psu.edu/hub/art-galleries
- PAC Herbarium: https://sites.psu.edu/herbarium/
- Palmer Museum of Art: http://www.palmermuseum.psu.edu
- Pasto Agricultural Museum: http://agsci.psu.edu/pasto
- Radiation Science and Engineering Center: https://www.rsec.psu.edu/
- Special Collections Library Exhibit Gallery: https://libraries.psu.edu/specialcollections
- Shaver’s Creek Environmental Center: http://shaverscreek.org
- Woskob Family Gallery: https://arts.psu.edu/facilities/woskob-family-gallery/
The Matson Museum is currently following the guidance put forth by Penn State regarding testing, social distancing, and masking requirements.